Sunday, June 27, 2010

Shoes and A Direct Sales Business

I love shoes! What woman doesn't? I have so many pairs; I'm almost out of room in my closet!

There are some that looked great in the store but took on a totally different appearance once they got home with me so they remain in the closet untouched by my feet!


There's a pair that I've worn a total of ONE time...eleven years ago (on a date with my husband after Ethan, my eleven year was born!)

Then there are a few pairs that pinch my feet because they are a half a size too small...but they look so good on!


This past week, I was organizing my closet and for some odd reason the variety of footwear taking up residence in there, forced me to see some similarities between my shoes and my Direct Sales career!

If you are anything like me, you've probably been involved with more than one Direct Sales company.
We tend to try on opportunities for size...to see if they are a good fit for us!

Many years ago, I joined a company (which shall remain nameless); I couldn't wait to get the starter kit...I was so excited, I stalked the UPS driver! When the highly anticipated kit arrived, I unpacked it and eagerly explored all the contents! Somehow what I had seen and had been told didn't quite match up to what was in front of me. This was my first experience of being a "closet" distributor...my kit was pushed into the back of the closet until I found someone to pass it on to!


Shortly after this misadventure, I decided to check out another Direct Sales company(same rules of anonymity apply here) which everyone was raving about! I quickly signed on the dotted line with the same level of excitement as with the previous company. The kit arrived and this time I will admit I gave it a good 100% of effort...doing everything I was told to do; but a few months down the road my excitement begun to wane. All too soon that kit also became part of the landscape at the back of my closet.

A few years ago, still not burned out by my experiences with Direct Sales; I found a company which I fell in love with! I was on fire! Nothing was going to stop me know! I had a wonderful product and was shouting it from the rooftops! I took that product everywhere with me...I life styled my business like a true Direct Sales professional!

Guess what? As much as I loved and was passionate about this business, I was having minimal success to say the least. But I hung in there because I loved the product and what I was doing so much!

Fast forward to three weeks ago...I noticed that an online friend who been a distributor with my company (and who was doing very well) had switched! I got curious and reached out to her and based on the information that she gave me and my own research; I switched and joined her.

Same PRODUCT, different COMPANY...but what a difference! I love my Gold Canyon Candle business just as much just as much as I love my shoes! It fits me perfectly, just like my favorite pair of Jimmy Choo's!

1 comment:

Anne said...

Sharon, love the analogy of the "back-of-the-closet" shoes and other businesses that also weren't quite the right fit. Really enjoying reading many of your postings.