Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Colors of Relaxation


Most of my closest friends know that my bedroom (and by extension my master bathroom...I'll discuss this room in another posting) is my sanctuary. My bedroom, especially is the place I go to retreat from my kids (I have no photos of the boys in this room at all), from housework and just when I want to relax and experience a sense of peace and rejuvenation. I light my favorite relaxation candle and drift away into the ambiance of scents and surroundings!

When I redecorated my room early last year I had no clue about the effects of color on mood...all I knew is that I wanted blue to be the central color in the room...I never knew why because green has always been my favorite color(my nickname in my neighborhood was Ms.Green)!
After the room was completed and I settled into my newly painted surroundings I begun to feel a difference in the feeling of the room...(or was it in me?) I decided to do some research on colors as they affect mood and this what I found:

Pacifying Colors
-- blue, green, and purple -- stay reservedly in the background, cooling, calming, and re-energizing weary spirits. Put them in rooms for resting and refueling.

Pale, serene greens slip quietly into a living room, bedroom, or reading room, hushing it with a whisper. Medium greens connect to nature, grounding and freshening the spirits of a home office, family room, or spa. Deep greens comfort a library, bedroom, or sitting room. But lime and parrot greens tend to waken and activate.

Blues and Neutrals
Blues and purples work meditative wonders. Pale azure and glacier blues wash a room in coolness and unstructured serenity. Proud, strong blues work responsibility and contentment into the mood. Pale purple-blues prompt reflection and dreaming.

Neutralizers
are the "noncolors": browns, beiges, grays, and white. Perfect for neutral territories of the house, such as kitchens or baths, these colors bridge together rooms, other colors, and moods. They neither activate nor pacify; they blend, combine, and cooperate.


White
, another neutral hue, brings out openness, airiness, and an expansive spirit. It generously welcomes other colors into a room, framing them and showing them off to their best advantage.


Activating colors
, such as yellow, orange, and red, move forward, warming and cheering, and inspiring conversation in varying degrees. Red, the intense one of this group, sparks emotions forcefully. Orange applies less pressure, and yellow merely suggests. If these extroverted colors please you, put them to work in the activity rooms of your house. Ruby, raspberry, or brick reds pack a punch in entries or halls. Even people who can't relax amid strong colors find a short spurt of red's exhilaration comfortable as they pass through a brilliant hall.

Notice what they say about brown? It's a neutral color that blends, combines and cooperates. The accent wall in my bedroom is brown! So without realizing I had created an oasis for myself where I can go to rest and refuel; emerging re-energized and filled with a spirit of serenity, contentment and cooperation!

What hue are you?

No comments: