Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Relaxing With a Cup of Tea

It's early morning right before the sun rises and I am sitting quietly in my room sipping my first cup of tea. I love tea! I picked up the habit roughly seventeen years ago in Leeds, England where I spent six months on a modeling assignment.

This is one of many self care rituals that I practice. I sit quietly before the boys awaken, sipping from my cup of tea and writing in my journal while surrounded not only by calming quiet but the wonderful aroma of "Relaxing" an Aromatherapy candle.

This is the time of the day when I do my best thinking...when I create the masterpiece that is to be my day! There's a special feeling in the air that is unexplainable...all I can say is that there is so much peace and calm just before the sun rises. This is both literally and figuratively because as the sun peeks over the horizon I am bound to hear my two younger sons getting up and wondering aloud; "I wonder what's for breakfast!" After that I can barely hear myself think!

Here are some health benefits of tea that I found on the internet:

Fights Cancer & Heart Disease

Tea contains antioxidant compounds of polyphenols that help the body fight harmful free radicals. It is believed that harmful free radical can lead to cancer and heart disease. Tea also contains flavonoids that restricts the build up of cholesterols and help with blood vessel functionality.

Protects Teeth & Strengthens Bones

Polyphenols found in tea may reduce plaque, which lowers your chance of cavity and gum disease. Tea also contains fluoride that helps protect against tooth decay. Fluoride is extracted from the soil by the tea plant. This identified mineral also strengthens bones and prevents osteoporosis.

Improves Digestion
The polyphenols in tea help with digestion of fatty food by increasing the flow of digestive juices.

Prevents Food Poisoning
The catechins in tea are a powerful sterilizing agent, which kills germs and bacteria. Tea prevents food poisoning by fighting against stomach diseases caused by harmful bacterias.

Look and Feel Younger
Studies suggested that the high concentration of antioxidants in tea have an anti-aging effect.

Strengthens the Immune System
Vitamin C in green tea helps to treat the flu and the common cold. Moreover, the polyphenols in tea have shown to increase the number of white blood cells in our immune system.

Prevents Dehydration
Tea is a good source of fluid intake that replenishes lost body liquid. Doctors recommend that it is vital to drink at least 1.5 liters of fluid a day. Tea is low in calorie and it is a great thirst quencher.

Do you enjoy tea? Share with me what kind you like.

No comments: