Thursday, May 28, 2009

Switching Gears

Hello World
I have not written in my blog for over a year
and I must admit I have missed connecting with my readers. I was inspired to begin writing again when I read a post on a friend's Facebook page. Simon T Bailey said in his post: "If your life is not moving in the direction you want it to go, then make a U-Turn. That's right You-Turn and go in the opposite direction." I thought about it for a few days and realized that MY life was not moving in the direction where I wanted it to go. I decided it was up to ME to make the turn and steer myself back onto the path that I had strayed from.

It was kind of a hard decision to make because I had become quite comfortable in the rut that I had somehow gotten stuck in this past year. I was enjoying not over extending myself and growing quite used to staying in my comfort zone. I was unfortunately, very comfortably ensconced in mediocrity in both my personal and business life.

The most difficult part was the first step; assessing myself and deciding what changes had to be made. The first things I looked at were in my personal life. I was not eating properly and was not getting enough exercise. I immediately changed my diet and have started a walking regimen. It's strange stretching both my mental and physical muscles but I'm getting used to it.

I then had to take a long hard look at how I was running my business. My desk was disorganized and I know I have spent many BUSY mornings just reading and answering emails. I was not being productive at all. My first task was to organize my office and make sure it was ready for me to get back on the road of productivity.

The next thing I looked at was my actual business. Here is where the most crucial switching of the gears was made. I have enjoyed being a candle distributor with the same company for almost two years. Unfortunately I was not performing the actions I should, to be successful. I was recently reminded by Todd Falcone in his newsletter about the ten things I had not done to make my business as successful as it should be. They are:
  1. Pick a company
  2. Make the commitment to build it.
  3. Start building it and don't stop.
  4. Help people get what they want and maintain your focus.
  5. Work hard and work smart.
  6. Don't quit.
  7. Be honest...first and foremost with yourself!
  8. Be REAL. In other words, be genuine.
  9. Keep working on your skills.
  10. Lead by example.

    I had to make a sharp u turn away from all the activities that I was doing that were not helping me be productive in my business.
    I am so excited to be embarking on a new leg of my Direct Sales journey. I will be posting regularly about my adventures and whether I am staying on my newly forged path. I look forward to sharing with you.




No comments: